During the Q&A portion of a webinar I presented recently, the question came up "how often should I update my website?" I’m assuming they mean to redesign their site, not updating individual pages with edits and blog posts.
There isn’t a hard and fast rule on this but here is what I consider when initially reviewing a website. My real checklist is longer but this will give you some idea if it’s time.
Checklist – When to Update Your Website
- Has it been 3 years?
- Is the site easy to view on a mobile device without "pinch and expand?" (hint that is not a mobile website).
- Are there trendy techniques that have trended out? Wood backgrounds, black backgrounds, etc.
- Does your type look small?
- Is your site using Flash?
- Are your social media icons super fancy?
- No content management system like WordPress? In other words, you need someone like me just for simple edits.
- Has your target market changed since you last updated your design?
- Be honest, does it look dated or comments from site visitors to that effect?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it’s probably time. If you’re still not sure, get a Target Audience Design Evaluation. Our evaluation thoroughly goes through both the design and technical aspects, and we give you a detailed list of what’s working and what needs updating.