When WordPress does a major release of anything with only two digits (4.3 for example), plugins and themes also get updated (we hope) so they can work well together. Although WordPress 4.3 may not seem like a big deal, there were some under-the- hood changes with letting go of older tech that may impact your plugins and themes.
Since not all plugins and themes are kept current, it is best to do your homework first! Here are my survival tips:
- Backup, backup, backup! There’s a reason my colleagues and I make backups of websites. When things go badly, there is no substitute for restoring the previous days’ copy. If you don’t have backups, your best bet is VaultPress and it’s slightly cheaper than Backup Buddy if you only have one website.
- Plugin checklist. Are they 4.3 ready? Login to your WordPress dashboard, click on Plugins on the left. Check to see if each plugin under "View details" is compatible up to 4.3. If up to 4.2.4, it’ll probably work with 4.3, but there is some risk; thus the backups!
- Older plugin? Have some that are going grey? See if you still need them or find a competitor replacement that is current. Obsolete plugins are security risks. Also there is function in WordPress 4.3 no longer supported, check to see if your plugin is among them. However, if WordPress repository says it is compatible with 4.3, no worries.
- Genesis Users – update the framework. You’ll need Genesis 2.1.3 in order to use WordPress 4.3 without issues. Update your Genesis parent theme prior to updating WordPress. FYI, some webhosts are being a pain about this, so you may have to update manually.
- Theme check. For other vendors, check the theme information compatibility guide to verify they are 4.3 ready or listed as compatible. Premium themes will list it on their own websites, WordPress theme repository for the rest.
Okay, you did all of the above? Alrighty then, hit that shiny WordPress update button!
Want to read an article about the cool new features in 4.3? WPBeginner has a nice one.
Overwhelmed by staying on top of updates, backups, and other security concerns? We can do that for you. Sign up today!